Match report

Flames' late-show leaves Blaze stunned

Blaze 5
Flames 6

Three goals in the final two minutes and an overtime winner turned what looked to be a comfortable Genting Casino Coventry Blaze victory into a 5-6 one-point defeat to the Guildford Flames at the Skydome Arena.

In their third game in as many nights, Coventry got off to a perfect start as goals from Shawn Pauly on the powerplay (17.36) and Tim Crowder (19.01) on a breakaway gave them a 2-0 first period lead.

Blaze's dominance of the game continued in the second as Jake Hansen shorthanded (24.27) and Ben Lake (25.33) registered for 4-0.

John Dunbar, who was to have a major influence on the game first got Guildford on the board on the powerplay (28.58).

A second on the man advantage came for the Flames through Ian Watters (31.16), his first of a hat-trick.

When Ben Lake made it 5-2 with his second of the night at 47.27, it looked as though Blaze were on their way to picking up a much needed two points.

The Flames though had other ideas, but it didn't come without a significant amount of controversy.

Watters with his second, again on the powerplay (58.17) made it 5-3 before an incident which drew the ire of the Blaze bench and Skydome crowd.

With Blaze netminder Miika Wiikman out of the play having been bundled into, Swede Calle Ackered put the puck into the wide empty net (58.33).

Following video review, referees Stefan Hogarth and Adam Hands seemingly adjudged that the Coventry keeper had been taken out by his own player ruling the effort a good goal and a 5-4 score line.

The game-tying goal and the third in 33 seconds came from Watters, once again whilst on the powerplay (58.50). It was the Flames' 4th goal on the man advantage from 9 attempts, leaving the Skydome stunned.

To begin overtime, Brit Jordan Hedley was forced to take over in net from Wiikman who had looked uncomfortable since the earlier collision. With chances coming and going at both ends, it was Guildford's man of the man of match with 2 goals, 4 assists on the night, Dunbar scoring the game-winner 3.21 into the extra period.

With Coventry suggesting the puck was kicked in, a video review again took place with the effort being ruled a fair goal. On the buzzer David Clements of Coventry, joined Ben Lake in receiving a personal misconduct penalty as the officials left the ice to a chorus of boos.